Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Johnny Weir

St Paul hosted the U.S. National Figure Skating Championship event this past weekend. I have always enjoyed watching skating, and during the 2006 Olympics I especially noted the American skater Johnny Weir when he performed a routine called The Swan. He didn't start ice-skating until he was 12, but in a few years became three-time national champion and world competitor. He is known for his sheer talent, and his artistic, graceful and musical skating. Instead of just hustling around between big jumps, he includes lots of difficulty in all aspects of skating, as well as a level of style and fabulousness that is more commonly associated with the women skaters. This routine, Fallen Angels was something he and a pair of other Olympic skaters put together for the Tour of Champions--a program for three dancers that doesn't involve a furry costume!
He had a rough period, and decided to change coaches and focus on the next Olympics. He has been criticized for a lack of discipline and athleticism (which to some meant he needed to butch it up a little). This weekend, he won the short program and he and his main rival Evan Lycasek tied for total overall points, but because Evan won the long program (by a fraction of a point!), Weir came in second. He skated conservatively in some ways, but attempted the quad (the holy grail of men's skating!), and his fans adore him no matter what. He speaks some Japanese and Russian. He has matured in the last few years, and seemed to be genuinely centered and strong in both his programs this weekend.
ETA: great Johnny Weir-Mika mashup "Any Other World"

2 comments:

Fresca said...

Hi! Krista of Thinkery suggested your blog to me, and I've been enjoying it a lot. I see you watch a lot of movies--I didn't see the delightfully silly "Blades of Glory" on your list (though I didn't look all that closely)--if you haven't seen it, I recommend it for a loving send-up of male figure skating.

momo said...

I know some people are reading, but I don't really know who, so I appreciate comments.

I have not yet figured out how to make last year's film list into a neat little drop-down link, so it's still trailing around at the bottom of the page. I also am impatient to catch up on the movies that are nominated for awards this year. I just decided that i would try to keep track of what I watched by linking to imdb. I enjoy reading reviews and user comments after I've seen something.

I have NOT seen Blades of Glory, but it's going to the top of my Netflix queue now that I've realized (after poking around looking at skating sites) that the "galloping peacock routine" in Blades of Glory was modeled on Weir's Swan routine! There's a video clip promoting the film that has reactions of skaters, including Weir, as if the characters were real.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp3RcXfhSis