There's a little prize (maybe it was a bean originally, now it's a little toy wrapped in plastic!). Since this is for Three Kings day, the family usually tries to figure out where it is and make sure the smallest kid gets it. On other holidays where you eat roscon, if you get the prize you have to buy the next one!
Because I knew January 6th meant something to someone. Also, it is interesting how January 6 kicks off the Mardi Gras season, where there is a cake with a prize inside as well. Good times.
Now I should actually read Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. It has been sitting on my bookshelf, untouched for some time.
Thanks for the link. I haven't read Twelth Night either. Jan 6 is Epiphany, or the day the three magi showed up, and had traditionally been the day people exchanged gifts. Santa Claus and Christmas trees are recent imports.
4 comments:
Is this that cake that one puts a bean in, and the person who gets the bean is king for a day?
There's a little prize (maybe it was a bean originally, now it's a little toy wrapped in plastic!). Since this is for Three Kings day, the family usually tries to figure out where it is and make sure the smallest kid gets it. On other holidays where you eat roscon, if you get the prize you have to buy the next one!
Coincidently I was just reading about it last night,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night_%28holiday%29
Because I knew January 6th meant something to someone. Also, it is interesting how January 6 kicks off the Mardi Gras season, where there is a cake with a prize inside as well. Good times.
Now I should actually read Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. It has been sitting on my bookshelf, untouched for some time.
Thanks for the link. I haven't read Twelth Night either. Jan 6 is Epiphany, or the day the three magi showed up, and had traditionally been the day people exchanged gifts. Santa Claus and Christmas trees are recent imports.
Post a Comment