Thursday, December 18, 2008

Some days it's a struggle

As we pulled into the Lund's parking lot, I saw an older woman inching through the muddly slush with a walker. I said cheerfully, without thinking, "There I go, in a few years!" My daughter was horrified: "Way to see the worst of things," she said. What I didn't say to her was that I had a flash of fear and awareness, of how hard it had been to get around with my broken foot a few years ago, of the limits of the last two years of physical therapy for my shoulders and hip, of recognition of a relative's rheumatoid arthritis, the news that two dear people had recently suffered the same broken bone in a shoulder through falls: my own fear that what is currently a manageable chronic pain syndrome could engulf my life as it has those of others. And of course, one day I will probably be unable to walk without support. It's a question of when, not if. We all decay and die.

I told her that I was grateful for my health, not expecting the worst, but she wasn't buying it. On the one hand, it could be said that I was seeing the worst. On the other, I was also (at least internally) feeling grateful for my health. But I was also repeating a gesture I'd seen my mother make many years ago, when she said cheerfully, "I'll be one of those ladies pushing a shopping cart in the Tenderloin" and we, her daughters, had reacted with the same horror at what seemed like a fatalistic expectation of the worst, but now, I see, was a kind of magical conjuring: "I'll say out loud what is my fear, and thus dissipate its power over me." Because my mother is not one of those homeless women on Ellis street; she has worked hard and taken good care of herself. And I am doing the same. But the power our words have on our children is not only that of our muddled intentions, and I need to remember that.

After thinking about this incident, I recognize that lately I have re-activated my "cynical defense mode." It's a form of shielding myself from all the pain that I'm afraid would overwhelm me if I really held it in consciousness without defenses. On some level, the jokes about shoes flying at Bush make me laugh, but the reality of the torture inflicted on the shoe-thrower horrifies me. The recognition that his rage is felt by millions who contemplate the deaths of all those killed and maimed as "collateral damage" in Iraq is almost too much to bear. And after the long drawn-out struggle to elect a person who symbolizes our desire for change, the pain that I hear from so many who feel betrayed because Obama has invited an activist for bigotry, Rick Warren, to read an invocation at his inauguration is also my pain (but think how many people would scream if he'd invited Rev.Wright!). I can't shut it all out, and sometimes I feel as if I am écorchée vive. But I am most profoundly aware of my gratitude because I am trying to be mindful of my fears, and transform them into compassion. Unfortunately, what I am doing to defend myself is experienced by others as cynicism at best and anger at worst, but certainly as negativity and not compassion. (So I talked to my daughter about this and we hugged each other and reminded each other that we love each other very much).

My hat's off to Phoenix Woman for reminding us all that along with Rick Warren, another person who has been invited to participate in the inauguration is Rev. Joseph Lowery. She linked to this incredibly thoughtful post by a young man named Matt who describes the effect that Rev. Lowery had on him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, on infirmity, I'm banking on new developments on how to fix things! They've got to have come up with some by that time.

Anonymous said...

Also: walking with support is better than not walking.

Meanwhile, I just had a shocking revelation on what parents say and do. I think mine experienced as *oppression* the fact that college was paid for, in the case of my mother, and graduate school, in the case of my father.

My mother did not want to go to college, but was expected to. Her late father had even provided for it. This was a terrible burden of guilt for her.

My father was not necessarily expected to go to college, but did. It was all voluntary and easily paid for with part time jobs.

Then our aunt decided he and my mother should both be professionals. It was not a decision they made freely and they were ambivalent about it to the end. It forced my mother to try to force herself into college again, which was terrible for her. It forced my father to get a PhD, become a professor, and move away from Berkeley, which was again terrible for my mother.

MEANING OF IT ALL:

When it turned out that our aunt was also going to pay for me to go to college, I saw this as liberation but they saw it as oppression. That (and not just that they wanted the money themselves) is why they were so angry.

They said don't go to graduate school. They meant it was not required. They were trying not to repeat an error.

My mother meant to say don't feel you have to do well in college, feel free to use it as a way to get an Mrs. degree if you want to. I saw these repeated suggestions as undermining and sabotage. She, however, was trying not to repeat our aunt's error.

They systematically refused to discuss school, careers, etc. ... except sometimes as advisers and warners. But as a general topic of conversation this was taboo. I saw this as coldness, disinterest, abandonment. They were trying not to be bossy.

Also: I always felt pushed toward the arts and humanities. I understood that hard sciences, social sciences, professional schools, and anything applied were off limits. Only math was all right, because it was one of the seven liberal arts. What was really meant, I think by the encouragement to take math, was that it was OK to be in majors that required math. What was meant by the push to arts and humanities was that it was good to get a general education and OK to want to do music/art (which from what I can divine, my aunt thought unwise ... for the same reasons as I did not advise myself into such majors).

TOTAL: the whole thing was an attempt not to do what my aunt had done, and the whole irony and conflict is that I am in fact very like that bluestocking aunt and I agree with her perfectly on many things.

Professor Zero said...

and finally, on "cynical defense mode" ...

It may not be the worst reaction. I go into extreme hibernation, or into self-laceration. At least cynical defense mode allows one to retain some backbone.

Professor Zero said...

More more more from me: on torture of journalist. I wasn't surprised (it's common) or worried (there is publicity). What *amazed* me about the whole thing was that Bush didn't stop it. It would be the first thing I thought of were I in his position and I would have made *sure* it didn't happen. This would have been easy. But no, he just let them carry on.

Fresca said...

Thanks for this thoughtful, personal piece.

One of my favorite concepts comes from American Buddhist Pema Chodron who uses the term "soft spot" for those things we try to protect and who teaches that learning to stay with/open up to our soft spots instead of wrapping them in barbed wire is the work of a lifetime. Or several.
So, good going!

momo said...

I'm glad I'll be able to see my family for the holidays this year. We've been either in Zaragoza or Crookston for many holidays, and I love it, but I'm feeling the need to be there this year.