Thanks to the power of Twitter, (conjunction!) I learned about a rare astronomy event, the "Celestial Frownie Face" explained here at National Geographic: "Planets, Crescent Moon to "Frown" on Skywatchers Dec. 1" Yes, tonight! there will be a relatively rare "planetary convergence", meaning that, if the sky is clear, one will be able to see Jupiter, Venus, and the crescent moon with the naked eye, clustered together. This has nothing to do with their actual distance from each other but rather with what they look like from Earth.
Birdchick has actual photos of this event in the Minnesota sky. Thanks to her tweet, I ran out and was able to see it as well. Bob Collins has posted another photo at MPR's Newscut blog, but from Kenya. So amazing! I hope there are some more photos posted, maybe at NASA's site, Astronomy Picture of the Day.
But never mind the astronomy, what do the astrologists have to say about this important event?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment