Sunday, February 21, 2021

Bacurau

 I overcame my squeamishness enough to watch Bacurau before the Monday night Cinema Club chat group. I really didn't want to subject myself to nightmare fodder but I was also curious as to how one might understand this film in relations to the whole "antropofagía" discourse. I told our host that I'd talk a little about this for the group and I looked up some articles in Portuguese about it, because it is definitely in dialogue with it.  I am also fascinated by its use of music

The film  opens with a Caetano Veloso song, "Nao Identificado," performed by Gal Costa:

and ends with a song by Geraldo Vandré, "Requiem para Matranga":

I was disappointed in the discussion, or lack of discussion. I'm expecting too much of the group. I am glad I learned as much as I did by preparing for this session, but the gang was being stingy with their input.

No comments: