I joined the conversation of the cinema discussion group last night about King of Peking (2017), a film made by Sam Voutas in China. He's Australian but spent some formative years in China, and made a Chinese-language film set in Beijing of the '90s. We had also been talking about the Iranian-American director Ana Lily Amirpour's film A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night and the way film's are positioned in relation to a country and its film-making. What difference does it make to how a film is experienced when we locate it as "Iranian" or "Chinese"? Does it make sense to talk about Amirpour's film as a diaspora (or "post diaspora") film? What does King of Peking "get right" about a Beijing that exists mostly in memory? This conversation is certainly relevant to the Cuban films we're watching for the Criterion Chat group. I will watch Lucia this weekend for our Monday discussion.
While I was poking around looking for reviews, I found this list of "100 films to watch to help you understand China" from the site radiichina.
This could be a project!
No comments:
Post a Comment