I just finished watched a weekend family kdrama Yeah, That's How It Is, all 54 episodes. It was one of the better kdramas I've watched in the last several months, despite the fact that it is a few years old. I only found out about it from the comments of a DramaBeans post--a usually grumpy commenter said it was good so I checked it out. It turns out that the writer has a long track record, including a drama, Life is Beautiful, that has a gay relationship as a central plot point. I'd heard of that drama--maybe I should watch it next. Luckily all subbed episodes were easily available--unlike the situation when I first started watching dramas (in 2013? I think) and had to sit through endless commercial interruptions before I subscribed to a DramaFever (RIP). It's been a while since I really binge-watched a kdrama. Checking my watchlist, I see that I'm up to 200 kdramas completed, 96 dropped. I have not one single 2021 drama on the completed list, and 2 are on the dropped list (there are more), which just shows how few I've even started watching at all in the last four months. Several of the ones I dropped over the years were big fan favorites but didn't appeal to me, while several of the ones I completed were not so great but I found them entertaining. The only dramas I've watched more than once are Coffee Prince, Marriage Not Dating, and Secret Forest. Maybe I should dip into my completed list to find some good ones to rewatch.
Lately, most new dramas have been some variation on supernatural love stories, time travel, serial killers, or a combo, or have been just plain too bad to watch past the first two episodes. And I dropped the most recent time travel drama at episode 14/16 because it just was so stupid, despite the fact that it had a couple of really good actors. But the action sequences were all like first-person shooter games while the actual story was nonsensical and the romance between the middle-aged man and young woman was offensive and boring. Ugh.
I have fewer jdramas or cdramas on my list because I find the mediocre ones unwatchable, and the good ones few and far between. It's also harder to get good recs because I don't haunt the discussion sites and I don't find the popular genres appealing. Maybe I should rewatch Fated To Love You, so ridiculous but it made me cry so hard ("Goodbye, My Love!")
No comments:
Post a Comment