Next art excursion was to SFMOMA with a friend who has a membership. I prepared myself for an arduous day because she wanted to stay from opening to late afternoon. But we managed to strike a nice balance between engaging with the art, taking breaks for lunch and coffee, and long chats. We ended up eating a a Chinese place Henry's Hunan, around the corner. The food was not good: green beans were woody, pork spareribs were too salty and dry. The onion pancake was short on onion and just a fried piece of dough with little flavor. I won't go back there. But later we sat on the terrace of the museum cafe and had a coffee, and watched the birds that frequent that little urban oasis. Highlights of the day: Kim Whanki painting, Agnes Martin room, Leah Rosenberg mural.
And this weekend I want to go to the Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) to see the Afro-futurism show before it closes, and to get a preview of the Edith Heath show. My daughter gave me a Heath ceramics vase for Christmas--I would love to get a set of dishes some day but they are just too expensive. The only question is whether I should go on Saturday when there is also music in the garden or go on Sunday to give myself a day between my Friday excursion and my next art date. It makes sense to go on Saturday, and to also take advantage of the Off The Grid food trucks that will be there. I should go, get lunch and enjoy music in the garden, then see the show. I can come back for the Heath show later if I get too tired. I am trying to be realistic about my museum stamina. I'm good for one in-depth exhibition, not two.
No comments:
Post a Comment