Every year we go to the May Day parade and festival. Here is a slide show from last year. Somos agua/we are water is this year's theme.First there is a parade, then the ceremony in Powderhorn Park:
Each year, a 200-person pageant re-tells the story of that year's parade, with children and adult dancers, puppeteers, a live orchestra and four giant serene puppets who represent the Prairie, Sky, River, and Woods.
It culminates in the Tree of Life Ceremony: to the steady beating of drums, a resplendent red Sun Flotilla paddles the Sun from across the lake to the shore where the Tree of Life sleeps, waiting to be reawakened.
After the ceremony, there is a party in the park, with music, food, and good vibes. I recharge my spiritual batteries for the coming year.
3 comments:
It sounds great - have fun!
This along with your easter egg hunt entry, it sounds like you live in a great area. Can you ride your bicycle without the threat of an SUV going 55-80 MPH?
I do live in a bikable area. Lots of trails that are divided so the wheelers are on one path and the pedestrians on another. I don't bike in traffic anymore though because I don't have the nerves of steel to go up against the SUVs, city buses, potholes, and red light jumpers. But I live very close to the beginning of a set of trails that go for miles through some really beautiful areas, around lakes. Once I am finished grading papers, I will haul the bikes out of the basement, wipe off the cobwebs and get them tuned up for the summer. Up until just a few weeks ago, we still had snow!
Post a Comment