Saturday, August 18, 2007

Highpoint Center for Printmaking

Art Camp! First stop, Highpoint Center for Printmaking. They have an exhibition coming up of young Mexican printmakers called Graphic Reality: Mexican Printmaking Today. This print, "La cucaracha, la cucaracha" is by artist Joel Rendon.

If I become a member, I can sign up for this special tour of the Latin American print collection at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts:


HP supporting members are invited to join HP’s Directors and our host Dennis Jon, Co-Curator of Prints and Drawings at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, for a special evening: we have reserved the Herschel V. Jones Print Study Room, now located on the first floor of the new Target Wing of the MIA, for the evening of Thursday, October 4. Dennis Jon will present works on paper from the MIA’s Latin American collection, including examples by Diego Rivera, David Siqueiros, Jose Posada, Rufino Tamayo, Jose Cuevas, Jose Orozco, Carlos Merida, and Francisco Mora. Following the event, we will re-converge at nearby restaurant Taco Morelos for refreshments and conversations!


I am excited about how many arts events related to Mexico there will be in the Twin Cities this fall, in addition to the major Frida Kahlo show that will open at the Walker Art Center in October.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is cool. And I am assuming it is the same Frida show I saw in the D.F. Which was so crowded it was hard to see. And the curators kept insisting you walk in the same direction all the time ... they did not comprehend that you might want to go through a room twice (this was allowed, it just was not understood).

Anyway, speaking of Frida. They have found a whole bunch more of her quotidian objects in the casa azul and they are having rotating exhibitions of these. And the show at Bellas Artes also had a lot of family photographs, very interesting, and letters. Some of which there were arguments about in the paper, were any apocryphal? Did she always go to the colegio aleman
which cared a lot about penmanship, or did she go elsewhere some years?
And so on.

There were many other Frida events everywhere. Frida movies projected on walls in Puebla, I do believe, or projected somewhere public and open air somehow (I missed it because I was chasing Indians, so to speak - this is almost literally true, chasing after Indians in a taxi whose driver was afraid of the neighborhood - in San Andres Cholula), lectures, everything, enough to make you OD, and they were calling it "Fridamania."

Anonymous said...

So my Frida-related comment was quite interesting, if I do say so myself, but I hit a wrong key and lost it. This printmaking looks fascinating though.

momo said...

No, it's not the same show. The one in the DF had to do with stuff they found, etc, while this show is of her paintings and some previously unexhibited photos of that belonged to her that had turned up in someone's attic. I wrote in an earlier post about the room in the Casa Azul that they opened up after 50 years--interesting chisme.
It's 100 years since her birth so there are a bunch of events. A ton of stuff has come to light in the last ten years or so. The 'Fridamania' idea has been round for a while, but for some reason when they have a big Picasso show (as they are now) they don't sneer about Picassomania....

Rent Party said...

"this show is of her paintings and some previously unexhibited photos of that belonged to her that had turned up in someone's attic"

I think this Walker one does sound like the one in the D.F. - the large one (there are others)
http://www.museobellasartes.artte.com/
I am pretty sure the sign said it was going to the Walker when it closed there.

momo said...

There are probably items in the show in Mexico City that will be part of the Walker show. This show here has been in the works for several years. It is being co-curated by Betsy Carpenter at the Walker and Hayden Herrera, the biographer of Kahlo. It opens here, and then goes to two other locations; one is the SF MoMA. Although I'm sure there will be paintings from Mexico that will be in this show, they are two different shows. The Walker is going to publish a catalogue with several essays commissioned for the event. I only know this because I attended a meeting with the curators and Walker staff as part of a group of educators and community members who will be coordinating things with the show. They sent us the checklist of works to be included. The photo collection is apparently something that belonged to Frida, and that she sent to her doctor in San Francisco when she and Diego divorced. It remained among his affairs, passed on to his caretaker and then was sold at Christie's when that person died. So there will be many items in it that will be displayed publicly for the first time. I'm sure that was also the case in Mexico City as a huge number of things were found in the room in the Blue House that had remained closed for fifty years. All in all, there is material that really adds to the information about Frida, her friends and family, and her work that has just emerged very recently. I'm looking forward to getting to Mexico in the near future, and seeing some of the clothing that has been restored.