Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Oh yeah, just in case you forgot? we don't like your kind.

Just in case I'd forgotten what it was like to work in a hostile, women-hating, homophobic, racist climate, some kind soul saw fit to remind me by anonymously leaving me two photocopied hostile, women-hating, homophobic, racist articles, decrying the "corruption" of universities by women, gays, black people and leftists. This is not the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last. It's not random, because nobody else got them. I guess some people see me as very powerful, much more powerful than I actually think I am. Maybe I'm doing something right.

4 comments:

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

Anti-intellectualism is one of the aspects of fascism. I have been meaning to tell the story of what happened to me about a month ago when I was driving. A man tried to cut me off but he was in the merging lane and I was in the regular lane. I did not realize his failed attempt until after he managed to pass me. We ended up at the stoplight together where he felt compelled to screamed “Where did that degree get you now you fucking cunt.” It took me a second but I realized that he was referring to the alumni frame on my license back plates (it was free, and I’m not ashamed of it). I responded with “you did all that and we are at the same spot” then started laughing. He got so pissed he started making motions for me to xxxk his xxxk. Then I made an inch sign with my thumb and forefinger. He was pissed and tried to curse me out more but his left turn light turned green and the car behind him was honking. Anyway, I’m telling you this because I did not know the extent of the hostility against women and supposedly these “lesbians” who are taking over academia until a few years ago when I started reading that idiot, I cannot think of his name now, was it Savage or was it that other idiot who made the list about the 101 people ruining the universities. I mean WTF? Honestly.

"Nut" was the root of my word verification. LOL!

Leslie B. said...

Condolences!

momo said...

Hah! Kitty, I have a story almost like that! a truck driver who was behind me didn't like my bumper stickers or something, and roared around so that we were side by side at the red light. I laughed, but didn't get a chance to make the inch sign.

this is actually more of an irritation than anything else. I think I know who did it--atthe accountant who just got fired has a right-wing radio show. Best candidate for this particular discourse. Some of my colleagues may have been anti-femiinist but they are not "anti PC" in this particularly virulent way.

Kawana Aminata Oliver said...

Great post ;-)