Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What is this "blogging" thing of which you speak?

I have failed miserably in my attempts to get my family to read or comment on my blog, even though I started it to share pictures and news with them and have BEGGED them to comment! Yoohoo! Mom? Sis? Daughter? Guys? Help me out here, give me a comment! Delurk already!

If you want to know more about the whole blogging phenomenon, Sarah Boxer has a great review at the New York Times Review of Books, with a list of several new books about blogs and blogging, and some choice quotes from bloggers. She gives a good explanation of what a blog is, what kinds of things make it fun, and what it can do that other kinds of writing can't. Of course there is much more to say on the matter, which is why all those people are writing all those books.
My favorite quotation is from Twisty, blogger at I Blame the Patriarchy, the first blog I started to read regularly and the blogger who inspired me to buy a digital camera so I could take pictures of food. Alas, Twisty seems to have lost interest in blogging, much to the sadness and dismay of her commentariat, who miss her compelling story of cancer treatment, her photos of food, her articulate and funny rants about radical feminism, and the bumptious community of commenters. Yeah, not everybody liked her, but I found her to be a consistently entertaining and articulate voice. She also had a reading club moment when she got a lot of people to read Shulamith Firestone (at their request) together. But she has more or less stopped posting, without formally announcing she's ending the blog. This happens. Blogging can be something people do for years, and then they decide, for good reasons (it's taking too much time, they got that book contract, they don't feel the urge any more) to stop. But quite often you can still read them in the archives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My favorite part is the Crunch. It practically dominates the box.
Well, my favorite part is the ello in Kellogs. Like a British greeting. 'Ello Guvnah!"

hi mom. hope your well. lovelove. :]

momo said...

Thank you, sweetie! Mwah mwah!

Anonymous said...

The article is great. The Changeseeker is doing sociological research on blogging. I'd like to do literary research on it and must stop myself. There are so many interesting fields of inquiry, I just cannot stand it. ;-)

My family knows where my blog is but sometimes I wish they didn't - it is too revealing. Yet I know they are lurking because they know my stories very well. My father comments by e-mail and even paper mail. I wish he would learn to use the comment function, as the comments are quite good, but that's too modern for him.