Monday, November 03, 2008

One more day!!!

Yesterday my wonderful family threw a surprise birthday party for me. I was completely surprised and I loved it! It made me feel grounded and whole again after weeks of pre-election nerves and anxiety. I'll post some pictures and stories about it later, but right now I have to grade papers and catch up with work. Unfortunately all the excitement and chocolate cake seem to have brought on a sore throat/cold, but I'm hoping it will be a short illness.

I'll also compulsively be checking up for coverage of the last day of this historic campaign. The Minnesota Independant, or MNIndy, has been doing a fantastic job of covering the local stories that the Star Tribune is refusing to cover (so sad that our papers has gone down the tubes in such a spectacular fashion). Check there for the stories of the Madia, Tinklenberg and Franken campaigns.

Here is a great story about hope from the Christian Science Monitor by an unlikely Obama canvasser. I am really loving the stories that people are telling online about their personal transformations as a result of being involved as citizens. It makes me feel so hopeful!

Two Virginians, Ethel Kennedy and RFK's son Max, talk about their support for Obama. My mother admired RFK very much, so I know she'd be interested in how his family sees Obama in relation to their history.

Minnesotan now writing about the media for the NY Times, David Carr, talks about the way the New Media has changed this election. He points out that traditional media, such as broadcast news, still plays a major role, but that they are adapting to the multiple channels of dissemination online, and that there are many alternate ways for people to get news, such as Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc, that we are just beginning to understand. I find this so exciting!

OK, time to get back to work.

1 comment:

Rent Party said...

Happy Birthday!