Tomorrow, we will go to see the new Star Trek movie. For some of us, it will be shot through with memories, while for my daughter, it will be completely unrelated to anything she has seen before. She knows nothing about Star Trek: not the original series, the spinoffs, the movies. Nada. It's so wrong to start her out with the prequel, but them's the breaks. Before we go see the pumped up, slick, CGI explosion-filled testosterone fest that this is bound to be, let us delight in all things DIY + Star Trek:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love this about Star Trek--it invites us to fill in the blanks, do it yourself, connect the dots, mash it up.
Can't wait for tonight!
I am filled with trepidation as regards this. The trailers showcase a modern super-hero film: amazing visuals, non-stop action - cool futuristic stuff. Very slick, very glossy. Critics are even calling it the next ‘Iron Man’. OK - I get that – I do; but the genius of ‘Star Trek’ was the relationships – not the stuff. That's what canned the franchise in the end. Roddenberry died - and the shows became all dark and brooding. No one liked one another - and that killed it dead.
Roddenberry emphasized interpersonal relationships. Why is it we remember the message over and above the storyline? Kirk watching Spock die. McCoy calling Spock funny names. Scotty puling miracles out of his ass. Even with ‘The Next Generation’ and ‘Deep Space Nine’ – it’s the people who stand out. Data’s take on what is was to be human, Picard’s brilliance measured against his sometimes debilitating inflexibility, the never-ending battle of wits between Odo and Quark, Sisko’s affectionate relationship with his son.
I could go on for years. I loved those shows. I grew up with them. So I don’t know about the movie. It could be just what the franchise needs – a new take – another way of looking at the characters. I just hope they remain true to Roddenberry’s universe – a place where humanity worked out its differences. Threats come from the outside – never from within. Chekov had better not be a cold war remnant who hates everybody. And Spock - Spock had better be hard core Vulcan (‘Live Long and Prosper’ et all. Change the base line, and why call it Star Trek at all?
PS – tell us all how you liked it – will you please?
Do click over to fresca's site astronave on my blogroll; she's written lots of lovely stuff about Star Trek! We'll definitely be blogging about the movie.
Post a Comment