Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Robert Muraine (aka Mr. Fantastic) and Shugamai Johnson

Found this Ikea ad featuring two amazing dancers:

I first saw Robert Muraine when he auditioned for SYTYCD. He made the top 20, but decided not to continue, recognizing that he'd be like Cedric: an amazing dancer in his own style, but not ready to branch out. He and Philip Chbeeb did a dance-off that was awesome. Chbeeb also had made the top 20, but got pneumonia and had to drop out. Muraine went on to be a protogé of Nigel Lythgoe who had him on another dance show (that I did not care for) where he got to show his talents to a wider audience. Anyone who makes a living as an artist knows that residuals from commercials pay the bills, so I hope this ad from Ikea is paying Robert so he can keep on dancing.

And where did Shugamai Johnson come from? Yeah, baby!She's a "liquid" dancer rather than a popper like Robert.
Here's a video about the making of the commercial:

Here's Mr. Fantastic vs Phillip Chbeeb (aka Pacman). Who do you like better?

Will Chbeeb be back this season? here he is against D-Rock with a great song by The Gap
I think Chbeeb has great musicality as well as popping skills. I'd love to see what he could do in other dance styles. I hope he auditioned again this year.
(cross-posted at SYTYCD 5 Social)

2 comments:

TFLS said...

I see that Robert Muraine has some new moves! And I've never seen Shugamai Johnson before. What a cool comercial! Thanks for posting it. Boy am I glad SYTYCD is just around the corner!!!

Shattered said...

Actually, neither Robert nor Phillip made it to the top 20 - Robert dropped out towards the beginning of Vegas week, and Phillip got pneumonia before Vegas week and opted not to go.

But it's an awesome commercial!