Monday, May 11, 2009
SYTYCD coming soon!
UPDATED: Can't wait for the two-and-a-half hour season premiere on Thursday, May 21 at 7PM central time. We'll see the preliminary auditions from around the country, and there will be another audition episode to follow, before they do the boot-camp eliminations in Las Vegasand introduce the top 20 dancers. If the show does what it did last season, we'll see a lot of bad auditions, some good ones of people who will not make it through to the final, and some of the top possibilities will be kept a careful secret so as to build anticipation. Because this is reality TV, folks!
The top 20 have already been chosen, but apparently a couple of them may have contractual obligations that conflict with the show, Hey, I notice that American Idol is the lead-in for the new show Glee, and the AI finale is Wed, so we will all be couch potato TV junkies that week; andn when I say "we" I mean those of us who are song-and-dance lovers, theater geeks, and people who own TVs.
Here's the official page for the show on Fox. It has been dubbed "the big ugly slow site" by some folks, but it will have more official information as the season begins.
I'll be joining folks over at SYTYCD 5 Social to blog, and tweeting SYTYCD news on www.twitter.com/sytycmomo (so I don't spam up my other Twitter account!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh honey - I can't wait! But will there ever be a dancer like Mark Kanemura? Beauty and grace. I still think we'll see great things from him. Did you see that his dance partner, Chelsea Hightower is currently appearing on 'Dancing With The Stars' (as are a couple other SYTYCD alumni)? I just LOVE arts shows. They make me miss what I can’t physically accomplish any more – but watching them kinda feels a little like home. It all began with me watching ‘Project Runway’, you know. I’d assiduously avoided reality shows up until that point. But I studied costume design under Patricia Ziprodt (not to mention interning in many a costume shop) – so stitching up material and calling it fashion was old hat. That led me to Idol, SYTYCD and a couple others…..and before you could say ‘Bob’s yer Uncle’ I was hooked! I notice Shane Sparks will be back again. Good. I like him. In fact – watching the choreographers work is half the fun. I hope they spend time doing a catch up on where past contestants are today. There were some really talented kids. Hopefully all are gainfully employed!
Gosh!
I must find some way to watch this, Momo, and see the magic for myself. I don't have a TV, but of course I know people who do.
When/where is it on?
I updated the post to include some more information. You're very welcome to join me to watch the premiere! The first two shows are all the audtions, then there is the elimination boot-camp in Vegas; then the competition itself starts with ten women and ten men (whom they annoyingly call guys and girls). The producers play teaser by not really showing us who will be in the top 20 until the last minute, because a lot of the reality TV experience is about getting people invested in narrative and characters. But the dance shines through, and the judges are really dancers and choreographers with standards, and the dancers who compete are real dancers who have to perform, not just look cute and bleat the way American Idol can sometimes get.
Post a Comment