Today I'm feeling the shadows of my brain chemistry's particular quirks with a heavy heart. Some rhythm helps me lose the fear of those shadows.
David Byrne. I'm so glad I got to see him perform three times with the Talking Heads in their various incarnations.
Lyrics here, but I have to admit that I heard "The TV's in repair" as "the TV's in the bed." I'm fascinated by his descriptions of the process of creating these songs, collaborations with other musicians and arrangers, photographers and artists. He ends with this:
When I first started to make music sketches for what would turn out to be this record, I imagined the result would be something a little different. I imagined longer instrumental pieces, which would evolve into songs. But as I kept writing (although a few of them ended up that way), most of the demos asked to be shorter and more and more concise. At times I felt like I needed to apologize for how accessible the songs were sounding. But then I realized that this is what they wanted to be. Like the song "The Revolution" implies, I somehow imagine that a real revolution is won by seduction, by winning over not just the mind, but the body and the senses as well. And that the sadness of some of these melodies are countered by the vigor and persistence of the groove.
—DB
Jan 22, 2001
1 comment:
nice song
Post a Comment