I have an appointment to get the covid vaccine tomorrow at Kaiser in Oakland! My brother-in-law is going to drive me there so I don't have to take public transportation and be all out of my mind with anxiety about it. I'm so grateful. I got a letter from Kaiser saying that I am eligible according to their latest set of criteria, because of my disability. If they're going to offer me the chance to get it, I'm taking it. I'll get the second dose and be cleared by mid-April. How will I celebrate? Take BART to the Ferry Building and buy myself a treat. See the Frida Kahlo show at the DeYoung Museum. Hang out with my mom at her place.
It has been almost exactly a year since we all went into lockdown: a year since I abandoned taking the bus and BART, a year since I have been to my mother's house, a year of trudging up and down the streets around my house so that I get out to get some exercise almost every day. I did make that mad trip to Minnesota with Rosemary when we just hung out at the farm before Blas and Loren went off to Spain indefinitely. It was risky but I needed to see my family so badly. And other than that, no movies, no lectures at the PFA, no restaurants, no museums, no trips to SF, no window shopping on 4th Street, no browsing in bookstores, no travel to New York or to Paris or to Spain---I still have $1200 worth of airfare vouchers I need to check up on. I've been weathering the quarantine limitations fairly well, all things considering. I struggle with boredom, sadness, anxiety, irritation with the neighbors, fear for the future, just like everyone. But I've done my gratitude lists and I don't have to deal with kids at home, with work from home, with financial woes or insecurities. My biggest enemy is sloth. I was really on top of doing yoga every day for some months and then I just stopped. Sloth.
No comments:
Post a Comment