I had my first negative experience watching a film for one of my cinema chat groups, watching a Brazilian film that was billed as a low-budget science-fiction documentary about race in Brazil: White Out, Black In. It is part of the Afro-Futurist collection on Criterion. Three characters are shown in parallel: two men who were been injured by police raiding a club, one in a wheelchair and the other with a prosthetic leg,and a guy who might be a time traveler, or maybe is just crazy. A lot of the film seemed to be long scenes of the guy in the wheelchair going up and down his lifts and smoking. I kept wondering what would happen if the power went out. The only part I really liked was a rap he did in the first part of the film. The rest of it was too disjointed, without a rhythm that made me want to look. The pieces of the plot, such as it was, were inert. I did like the use of storyboards instead of CGI to imagine the revenge at the end, but I had to really force myself to continue watching. I don't usually get bored with slow or experimental films; this one just did not connect with me. It has been well-received by some, but I am in agreement with those who like the premise but not the execution.
Sunday, March 07, 2021
White Out, Black In
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment