Today a notary came to my apartment and I signed all the documents for the sale of my mother's home. We got an offer on New Year's Eve, and closed for the end of January. All has gone well. I'm so relieved that we will be able to pay off the reverse mortgage. There won't be much left over once all the expenses are paid and we share it among the three of us, but it's still something. I'm grateful. I hope the new owner gets joy from her new home. We didn't fix up everything but we made it nice and it's a great location. There were so many financial and legal steps to take to be recognized as the trustee, get financial control of her affairs, get legal access to the property to sell it, etc. I just put my head down and did it, step by step. There are still some financial logistical hurdles yet to come but I'm going to continue to assume that all will go well. I have not had the mental space to think about missing my mom yet today. She would be glad that we have been able to manage things this well so far.
If I had been in the financial position to keep the condo I would have tried to stay there myself but to be honest, I'm starting to talk to my daughter about moving to Brooklyn to be close to her. That's a whole new chapter of life to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment