Saturday, January 01, 2022

An offer

My mother named me her trustee and the executor of her will. As such, I have the responsibility of paying bills, settling affairs, and selling her condo. My sister and brother-in-law did all the heavy lifting of cleaning, prepping, and moving stuff out. It was a huge job, and very emotional. I did all the documents, finances, and legal stuff. It was anxiety-provoking, but I have thrashed my way through it. Together we have done everything on our lists, and today we got an offer on my mother's condo. Considering that it has only been two and a half months since she died, we have accomplished a lot. It has been emotionally draining but it has also given us a sense of purpose. The offer seems good to me, but our brother raised some questions. His questions were not unreasonable, but they came accompanied by a serving of resentment which I find hard to deal with. This is where my Alanon program comes in. I cannot control him, his feelings, or his process. I tried to represent his perspective honestly with the realtor and to understand for myself if his objections would change my mind. He thought we should not trust the "coming soon" process whereby we listed the property for other realtors so they could bring in their clients. We got five visits and two of the people had large dogs that are too big for the condo association by-laws. One person was dissatisfied with the way the pipes in the bathroom rattled in the all after the water was turned off. Can't do anything about that. The person who made the offer is a young woman who brought in her mother to look the place over. She seems to be in earnest. Now we get to see if we can get through the next month and all the stages of the process in which things can go wrong. Can I turn this over to my higher power and be present with the way it unfolds? Help me, oh mycelium! I have elected you to be my higher power this month! or, in the words of Julian of Norwich: ‘all shall be well, all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.’ 

Here is a view of the vastness of life on our planet, as seen through the lens of fungi:


No comments: