Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Alcatraz

We look at the Golden Gate bridge in the fog and at a group of cormorants hanging out on the western edge of Alcatraz.

The prison on Alcatraz is an amazing part of a visit there, but I was equally interested in the stories about the American Indian occupation of the island and its place in the struggles for Native American rights.

4 comments:

Rent Party said...

Did you go to Angel Island and see the Chinese writing? Apparently they had Chinese immigrant workers confined there and they wrote poetry on the walls. It was papered or plastered over or something, but then got discovered. A professor put it in a book.

momo said...

Yes, we did got to Angel Island, but I have not had time to do proper blogging while visiting family. The Immigration Center is currently closed while undergoing renovation, but the guide who took us on the tour of the island did talk about this discovery of poems written on the walls in Chinese by folks in quarantine/detention on the island. I plan to look up more about it for a later post. I don't recall that it was papered over, just that the facility was more or less abandoned and the researcher happened on it. I'll try to find out more.

Anonymous said...

See
http://www.kaichang.net/2007/05/immigrant_dream.html

entrenomadas said...

If you find more information about it, please tell me. It is really interesting.
Besos,

MARTA


Sorry, my english is sick.