Monday, May 19, 2008

"It's just across this bridge*...

I find so many people tormented by paranoia right now. What if we were to adopt Rob Bresny's philosophy of pronoia instead?

If you click on Jason Kottke's meme aggregator, When Obama Wins..., and click on it enough times, eventually it comes up with "...we'll find the map to Candy Mountain!"

Is it all too good to be true? Should we be wary of our very desire to hope so as not to risk being disappointed? Is hope for change just too painful and dangerous? If we get excited about the possibility of a real change in Washington, are we dupes? naive? apologists for the patriarchy?


It's as if we are all crabby like Charlie the Unicorn, burned one too many times because we didn't want to be left out.
kitty


shunnnnn!



*"The magical bridge of joy and wonder... "

And then there are all those accusations of "drinking the Kool-Aid." What? you haven't yet "drunk the Kool-Aid"?

How many people really know what the glib phrase really means? Those of us who grew up in San Francisco in the seventies remember the real pain and horror of the events behind this little bit of net-lingo that has been taken up by press and pundits.

I'm a lousy polticial pundit; I thought Reagan could never be elected because he was so awful, that Kerry had to win, because how could people re-elect that fool? But I refuse to give up on optimism.
If the California Supreme court, mostly Republican appointees, could find in favor of gay marriage. Did I ever think I'd see that in my lifetime?

4 comments:

Professor Zero said...

Of interest re optimism:

http://supervalentthought.wordpress.com/2008/02/16/optimism-and-distension-what-happens-when-we-talk/

Fresca said...

I go with that old Russian saying,
"Hope for the best, expect the worst."

I admit, however, that I don't know if that is a real Russian saying. I picked it up when I was a child and watched with deep abiding love Mel Brook's "The Twelve Chairs."
(Have you seen it? It holds up pretty well.)

But come to think of that, isn't that an adaptation of a Gogol tale or something?

Oh--not quite, but not too wrong--I just looked it up on Wikipedia, which reports:
"The Twelve Chairs (Russian: Двенадцать стульев) (1928) is a classic satirical novel by the Soviet authors Ilf and Petrov."

Obama? He's a politician and as such, the opposite of a free agent, don't you think?
I can hope he'll at least be a good cog. But I'm not going on a wild chair chase...

momo said...

Another one for the Netflix queue!

Fresca said...

Oooh, good: I just added it to my queue too, as I haven't seen it in several years.
It's got an amazing cast: a handsome young Frank Langella, Dom DeLuis, and Ron Moody.
I'd love to read your review.

Here's hoping for the best in all things!!!