A couple of days ago, as I was driving to the school board meeting to speak out in favor of the Human Rights Campaign's curriculum to counteract homophobic bullying in the public schools, I listened to radio news headlines that were almost apocalyptic: the death toll climbs from the cyclone in Myanmar and the authoritarian regime is stealing food and aid from the people; reports of the earthquake in China eloquently communicate the pain of all those parents who've lost their only precious child in the rubble of collapsed schools; tornados are increasing in severity, but is it becaue of increasing in severity because of global climate change? the degradation of ecosystmes contributes to the raging wildfires; Bush's lackeys have finally declared polar bears a "threatened" (but not endangered!) species, and admitted that maybe there's something to this global warming stuff after all. Food and fuel prices are rising, and the poorest will be hit the hardest. I feel anger and sorrow. It's tempting to give in to despair. But, as Alex Steffen says, in his manifesto for a politics of optimism "Cynicism is obedience." There is a global movement for change, made of many pieces. Some of them connect at Worldchanging.com. As they say, "Worldchanging: Change your thinking"
I got an email from someone at the The Advocates for Human Rights, (formerly known as the Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights, but they have grown),letting me know about this event. I clicked their link and it took me to something called "Bloggers Unite:Blogging for Hope, hosted by BlogCatalog.com. If you click there, you can see what other bloggers are thinking and writing about human rights. We are working together for a critical pedagogy of hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment