Today was "saturated with awesomeness" according to Miss R., and I agree!
We slept in, watched cartoons, were lazy with the kitty. Then we took a walk to look for a last item for the school camping trip coming up this week. The weather was gorgeous: sunny, not too hot, dandelion puffs blowing in the wind, the scent of lilacs on the breeze. We stopped at the Letterbox Creative Store for Cupcake Saturday. We bought one of each of the four kinds of cupcakes made by the fabulous Sheela Namakkal, whose catering business is called Miel y Leche. Today she was serving a lemon-blueberry, strawberry shortcake, "hostess" (like a ho-ho), and a yellow cake with dark chocolate frosting. We saved them for later, and went on to Twin Cities Green, a newish store on Hennepin, where I thought we could find a water bottle. Not only did we find a Sigg bottle, but one with a Japanese design! Yes!
We walked back to have lunch at Lucia's Bakery: fruit salad, a biscuit, a corn muffin, with yummy Darbo preserves. I love the corn muffins at Lucia's, especially with their chili, but today we wanted to get to the matinee at the Uptown Theater on time to see The Fall. We sat in the balcony, right in the first row. I love being able to still go to a theater with a balcony. It had some eye-popping cinematography, amazing locations, lovely acting. We give it two thumbs up.
On the way home, I bought a copy of Persepolis (I and II), because we had seen it last week at the Riverview, another great cinema.
We were at home, noodling around, when suddenly we heard the tornado siren. Since there was still sun shining through the window, we didn't race to the basement, but checked out the TV report; possible tornado forming in a storm to the north, with "golf ball sized hail." With the disaster in Hugo fresh in our minds, we got the cat carrier ready in case we had to go downstairs, but when the storm arrived, our hail was only dime sized. After closing all the storm windows, I crossed my fingers that we wouldn't have the huge hail we'd seen on TV, but no windows were broken. We saw a huge rainbow when the rain ended. In just a few minutes time, it rained hard enough to send a little flood down the street gutters. Gotta love that Minnesota weather, and thank goodness this weekend we just had the thunder and hail, and no tornado.
I'm trying to soak up all the time I have with my girl because she'll be away all week at this camping trip, the last hurrah of her middle school year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wasn't Saturday a great advertisement for living on the plains!!! I delighted in the hail falling on my geraniums--(luckily not golf-ball sized, mroe like peas.)--and relished breathing the outer-spacey thunderous ozone.
I love our weather!
It's funny that you and I are probably in the same place at the same time but wouldn't know it. I was at the Lagoon Theater earlier Saturday watching "Son of Rambow," which made me want to make my own movies! (I keep saying this but never do.)
I also keep meaning to check out those famous cupcakes, but don't do that either...
School field trips. Sigh. How lovely.
Post a Comment