Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I voted!



I had the idea that I would get up super-early to be first in line, but that was unrealistic--I'm not a morning person. Then I thought I'd go with my daughter after school. But I couldn't wait, and after I dropped her off, I went back to my polling place. There was a line, but the folks who work there are wonderful; they were out making sure that the same-day registrants were in one line, and people like me who were already registered could go to a different line. I'd say there were a few hundred waiting to register, but it was moving fast and everyone seemed patient and happy. Inside, my section of the alphabet had the shortest line, so I got my ballot right away. I took pictures of my votes! and then waited in another line to put the ballot into the machine. On the way out, I ran into my new downstairs neighbors, who were registering at their new address. They are in their early twenties, and so were a lot of people in the line. I think the whole thing took me less than half an hour. Now I'm walking around at the University and everywhere I see little red "I voted" stickers! Go, kids! Show those pundits who sneer at the younger voters for not turning out that they will be WRONG this time!

2 comments:

Fresca said...

Darn: I thought about photographing my ballot too, but I was too shy (paranoid?) to take photos IN the polling place.
Isn't this a nice day?!?!

Unknown said...

Very Happy Birthday Joanna!!!!!!. I hope your surprise present does not take to long to be announced!.
Un beso