Saturday, November 29, 2008

Winter larder

I haven't been the host for Thanksgiving for years, because I'm always going to one branch of the family or another, or to a friend's orphan potluck extravaganza. But after we got home from Bemidji, I got the urge to stock the pantry and cook, so we made the rounds of our favorite purveyors today (Produce Exchange, the Wedge) and I cooked up:
sweet potatoes, fresh cranberry relish, roasted root vegetables (turnips, parsnips, carrots)a big pot of chili and another big pot of lentil stew to freeze. There's a big bowl of fresh fruit, and some salmon to broil tomorrow.
I do not own a crockpot, but perhaps I should get one and try out some of these recipes at A Year of CrockPotting, if only because I love these sites where people dedicate themselves to doing something every day. I've already posted about Roger Ebert's suggestions about how to cook things other than rice in my rice cooker, but I think a pot roast is more suited to ye olde crockpot. I have a copy of Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life but I know that for the next month I'm going to be sprinting to the semester finish line, so I may need to save it for the plane to SF. Laying in supplies so we have some healthy food to eat makes me feel prepared.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, the Kingsolver is dangerous. Totally derailed my life for 3 evenings of reading and then all I wanted to do was wander around Farmer's Markets and research local, organic, free-range, heritage meat sources. All of which is waaaaay more fun than, say, grading or meetings or writing a dissertation.

But it also lead me to our Bourbon Red turkey, which was the most awesome turkey ev0r. So it kinda paid off. And if I don't finish the diss for a job, I'll totally finish it in order to have a garden. ;)

momo said...

I know that this will also happen to me, so I'm setting it aside for the break, even though I also have a paper for the MLA to finish. Start, I have to start it before I can finish it. Right now, I'm cooking a bag of white beans that had been sitting in my cupboard for a very long time: Soaked over night then simmering Tuscan style, with sage, garlic and a little oil in the water. Later they can be puréed, added to other dishes or eaten plain with a little salt, pepper and olive oil. Maybe with that kale I got yesterday.

Can you tell I have one more set of papers to grade by tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, beans. I should do that too.

Want to get a beer or something in San Francisco? I'll be there as well.