A recipe from Sarah N.
This recipe comes from Rick Rogers's "The Carefree Cook" by way of Spendid Table. I use it as a cold salad in warm tortillas in the summertime, and in winter I often fold it into a tortilla with a little cheese (so it sticks) and cook them in a very lightly oiled skillet. A green salad and salsa go well with it.
Dressing
Mix in blender:
zest of one lime
juice of one lime
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 crushed clove of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Salad
Mix in bowl:
1 25 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1-2 vinegar packed roasted red peppers, rinsed and diced
1 avocado 1/2" dice
dressing (see above)
This keeps well in a covered container in the fridge for about a week. In general I find the avocado keeps its color pretty well if it is well covered with the dressing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
OK, so using only ingredients grown on this block, I made killer salad dressing as revealed by my Peruvian friend's cook.
Mix: lemon juice, minced garlic, minced chiles.
You would think a dressing without oil would not be rich. This turns out not to be the case.
I of course got to make it in a wide, low pitcher made by me, and serve it with a wooden spoon from Chiloe. I am sure these things helped to improve it, too.
Good lord that sounds fantastic! Something lovely and vaguely summer-esque to get us through May.
Z: I second those additions! Of course, the aesthetics of presentation are a plus.
Sarah Von, thanks for commenting. Your site looks gorgeous and fun!
I made the full salad with fresh key limes right from the tree and mint from the garden (yes I do take two weeks vacation at mardi gras, so I am home) ... it was fantastic.
limes from your garden *sigh* the snow has melted a little here.
Post a Comment