Thursday, July 07, 2022

health care plan

Today I have an appointment at a health care clinic that is about 15 minutes away on foot from home. I switched to a new Medicare Advantage plan because of the move-- I filled in some form on a website and was contacted by a broker. I'm sure he was getting paid to push the plan I ended up with, but he went over it carefully with me and it's going to be cheaper and just as comprehensive as Kaiser. I was paying a monthly premium for Kaiser and this plan has no premium so it won't be deducted from my social security. No more Kaiser! no more convenience of a massive HMO. So I looked up the Wellcare practitioner list and pulled a name out of a hat and called for an appointment at the Betances Health Center.  It's just up Broadway. I walked by it yesterday on my failed produce excursion. I was so disappointed--the store was crowded and the produce looked stepped on. I did buy some green beans and kale. I passed another organic market on the way that I will go to it today on the way home from the clinic. It's right across the street.

 The doctor I had chosen was not available for new patients so I'm going to see a nurse practitioner. The receptionist did not tell me she was a nurse practitioner so that was a surprise. I don't know if she will have the authority to prescribe my meds but I want to get in they system at a clinic near me.  They have a dentist on staff so I can see about setting up an appointment to get my teeth cleaned. 

Things to review in my appointment: skin cancer check; mammogram and pap smear; prescription renewal; weight loss plan; dental care; shingles vaccine; covid booster; location of nearest urgent care center/ER. 

 


No comments: