Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Remedies for earworms

A while back I poked around on the topic of "the phonological loop" and earworms, those songs you get stuck in your head.

The good folks at RadioLab polled their listeners about their earworm, and their remedies for earworms, and came up with this fun post, with a podcast of both the songs and the remedies their readers suggested. One of the remedies is to listen to the song all the way through to the end. Another is to deliberately think of a "cleansing song." One that was suggested was The Girl from Ipanema. Another was James Brown's Sex Machine. Go figure.

Lately the songs that have been trotting around in my head are the ones used for the SYTYCD routines, because I've been watching the videos. As usual, I only remember the first line or so, and it gets stuck on repeat. Today's earworm is "Stop and Stare" by One Republic. It was the audition song for one dancer and the solo for another (who got cut). I guess I'll have to listen to it all the way through so I can stop walking around singing "stop and stare" over and over again.

No comments: