Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Brussel sprouts

The dish I've been asked to bring to the Thanksgiving potluck is Brussel Sprouts, one of my favorites, and one we always prepared in my family.
I can't decide if I want to use this recipe by Deborah Madison, as recommended on The Splendid Table, which does not have chestnuts, or this one, from Domino magazine, in which the brussel sprouts are roasted instead of boiled. Either way, I'll be off to the market to buy enough to serve twenty people (that's a lot of sprouts!). When I was a kid, it was my job to cut the X in the chestnuts and then peel them after they were roasted. It can be a tedious job, which is why I'm not sure if I'll do it, but oh, do I love them!

Do you have a dish that must appear on your Thanksgiving table? corn pudding is another one we always used to make.

5 comments:

The Fabulous Kitty Glendower said...

I love Brussel Sprouts. A site I visit often roasted them I think. I will be back in a second with a link:


http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/entries/2007/10/02/how-to-hug-a-porqupine/2722

There is no dish I must have, well other than Turkey and dressing. I do love pecan pie.

momo said...

thanks for the link! Apparently someone coming to the potluck will be making pecan pie, mmmmm!

Anonymous said...

I also love brussel sprouts, but they're a Christmas tradition for us. At Thanksgiving, there must always been cranberry mousse: http://www.slimcoincidence.com/blog/2004/11/cranberry_mousse_1.php

momo said...

Fresh cranberries, cooked with a little orange juice and a dash of vermouth, mmm!

Thanks for sharing your grandmother's recipe, Krista!

Unknown said...

We love roasted Brussel Sprouts with lemon juice, sea salt and olive oil, mixed with walnuts.

But my favorite dish? Green bean casserole...shhh, don't tell.