A dear friend met us for lunch in the Birchwood Cafe, one of my favorite Minneapolis places. The coffee is excellent, the food is "good real food" and the folks who work there are both laid-back and efficient, a great combination. I had the French toast made with brioche, and topped with a sauce made with pears andwalnuts cooked with butter and sugar until they had become a kind of caramel delight. No maple syrup necessary, and the brioche is the perfect texture to sponge up the egg/milk without getting soggy. The dollop of whipped cream was real. It was like the most delicious bread pudding, but as light as air. We also shared the scrambled eggs with potatoes, toast and fruit. When we finished, we were satisfied but not overstuffed. Today is the perfect fall day--warm enough to walk around without a jacket but cool enough to allow you to enjoy a sweater and a scarf. The leaves are only half off the trees, so you can still admire the colors and crunch them underfoot, in keeping with the late onset of winter in the last few years.
On the way home we stopped at the Produce Exchange. The free salsa class was just winding up as we stocked up on pears, clementines, pomegranates, oranges, and bananas.
In the car, my girl and I talked about the high school choices. We will got to two open house events next week, and she'll make a decision. I have my preference, but both are good places, well recommended by friends whoses kids have gone there, so we're lucky. We'll each do our homework, then take a walk. Who knows when the weather will turn?
4 comments:
I had the French toast made with brioche, and topped with a sauce made with pears andwalnuts cooked with butter and sugar until they had become a kind of caramel delight.
Oooooh that sounds delightful! Yummy.
So you can choose high schools? Instead of having to go close to where you live. Interesting. I am so not ready for that. Good luck.
Momo,
The Bonzos live one block North of the Birchwood.
Very nice place.
Ciao,
Mr. B.
Our weather is the warm version of yours. It is said winter will be comparatively dry, Gott sei Dank, because when it is wet 28 degrees feels like 8 dry ones. Perhaps you will also have good weather for a long time.
You are so active. Our weather was like yours but I stayed home all day creating this
http://jungla.wordpress.com/
and talking to Peruvians in California about college choices. Y punto.
Kitty, I hadn't had French toast for ages, and this was the perfect French toast for me. I'm not sure if I could recreate it, but I'll bet if I call my mom, she could tell me how to make that sauce.
Mr. B, I used to live about ten blocks away and I'm sorry that I have to drive to get there now instead of walking. I loved living so close to the river!
Tarzan, sweet looking class page!
Post a Comment