I missed my favorite show because I was in a plane, so I read some recaps. Lots of folks seem disappointed with this season, but so far, I am really enjoying it. I'm not expecting the dancers to be like my favorites from years past; I want to see how they develop over the weeks. My favorites so far:
Joshua and Katee, for both their routines: last week's hip hop and this weeks Broadway. They are well matched for energy and synchornicity, and they have a GREAT connection, even when they are not directly partnering. The first dance told an emotional story of impending separation and pain, while this weeks was a joyous romp. I thought they did a great job with both routines, both in the execution of the choreography and the creation of an emotional arc as a duo. For this reason, they are my favorite couple so far.
I can't decide who my next favorite dancers are because I like quite a few of them. Mark Kanemura has done a great job so far, partly because he's had two outstanding routines to work with: Mia Michaels is always great as far as I'm concerned, and I thought Mark expressed the character of the Argentine tango perfectly for someone who has never danced it before. Some people are getting down on his partner Chelsie Hightower for her part in the tango, but I thought she has been excellent in both dances so far. But neither dance has really showcased her. Mia had her in a foofy tutu that obscured her body for parts of the dance, and the AT has the woman in close embrace and you don't see her face, but her footwork and carriage were strong. She ventured into ballrooom tango a little bit in her posture at times, but I don't think that's bad for a showcase routine like this, with lifts etc. It's not a milonga. People who were talking about how they looked down don't realize that this is part of the dance, not a mistake. They had GREAT chemistry, and I think they have been pleasing the fans.
I love Will and Twitch. Jessica is better than the judges have been saying. Is the fact that the she and Will are not dancing at the same level her fault or partly that Will is not dancing with her the way Joshua is with Katee? Let's not forget that this is a partnership and if they are not matching, he may have something to do with it. Hard to say yet. He IS a superior dancer, for sure, but I like the quality of Joshua's movement the best of all the men.
I do like Matt Dorame, and thought the foxtrot was fine, but I understand a little what Nigel is saying even if I think he is being cruel about it. Matt has such brilliant technique with his legs, but sometimes his arms are not strong enough. Not in an effiminate way, but in that he doesn't continue the energy beyond his hands, project it out.This also comes through in his facial expressions. He has a fabulous and mobile face, but for some reason he's not communicating with it. I'm not sure why. His partner is OK, but I can't remember her name, and that is not good.Kortni? She's a good dancer, but they lack the connection they need to make it flow.
Susie was flustered by Alex da Silva, what a jerk he is, when he said she was a street salsa dancer, but why should she be hurt by that? She is, and that's just fine! But she did not bring it in her number, for whatever reason--she was unsure and not rhythmic. I actually thought Marquis did fine for being a salsa beginner. Not as good as their waltz, but I have wanted to flog Alex in the past for being incredibly unkind to the dancers he works with, so this is not new.
Other couples were fine but not as well served by their choreography. Of course, I was on the plane during the show and have had to piece it together with BloggingSYTYCD (thanks Ted and Sue B!) and all the other fanatics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment