Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Uh-oh, the logic board had to be replaced!

My MacBook went dark over the weekend, so I have not had access to digital things unless I drive to the office to use the desktop computer there. Since I've been trying to work from home now that classes are over, this is not impossible to do, but it does mean that I'm spending more time on campus (and commuting) than I would be otherwise. I was not completely unplugged, but I'm so accustomed to having easy access that it was interesting to observe how often I had the impulse to look something up online:
What is the cost of gas in European countries right now?

How many people does the Xcel center hold and how many turned out for the Obama speech?

What else has Eliot Pattison written besides the four novels I've read about Tibet?

How many people will lose their jobs because of GM's stupid short-sighted gas guzzling priorities?

Have the kids been having any dry weather in the Badlands?


What a relief that I bought the 3-year Applecare warranty! I have been informed that they are replacing the "logic board" (that's the motherboard in Macspeak), so it would have cost me a pile if I'd had to pay for it myself. I'll find out what else might have gone wrong when they call me to let me know when it is ready, either today or tomorrow. I've been reading around about known Macbook issues with overheating, replacing the logic board because of a "whine" and having to tinker with the Time Machine settings once the logic board is replaced :(

As a result, I've been relatively unplugged for the last few days, and let me tell you, it has been interesting to see how psychologically dependent I have become on having instant access, especially when I want to follow a news story. My phone allows me to read my email and even browse, although it is slow, but yesterday I followed the Obama/Clinton/McCain news solely on mainstream media. Yuck, was that painful. And no, I did not go to Saint Paul to stand in line for hours to get into the Xcel center to then wait for more hours to watch a speech because I knew that Chuck Olson and the good folks at The Uptake would be there.

No comments: