Yesterday I had an argument with colleagues about how the College was dictating the content and standards of our first year language courses, how the fear of bad student evaluations has warped the way our non-tenured track faculty teach, and the impact this has had on the quality of the preparation of our students.
If the College wants us to dumb down our language courses so the non-majors who are only taking the language to satisfy their language requirements don't get mad, if our third-year students are being taught by instructors who are afraid to hold them to higher standards because they'll get dinged on evaluations, and if our faculty are so unaware of this dynamic that they think they can redesign the curriculum AS IF our students were of the same quality as our aspirational peers (those institutions where we got our degrees) then the experience of teaching our under-prepared students is going to be extremely frustrating.
I highly recommend reading it to understand the disconnect between what most of us were trained to expect and what our jobs really are. We will either take this change into account as we plan our curriculum and think about our work, or we will be buffeted by these winds.
For the institutions, however, the deconstruction of faculty work offered a great incentive to reduce their commitment to an inflexible work force of tenured faculty and increase their investment in short-term, highly efficient faculty dedicated to specific purposes for specific periods of time and whose productivity and performance could be reliably maintained. The argument about whether it’s better to have part-time or full-time contingent faculty is surely important, but it may obscure the remarkable transformation of much academic commitment from an investment in a person who produces many products over a lifetime to the investment in specific products that ensure the competitive position of the employing institution.
3 comments:
I second the motion of Momo to read the Reality Check piece. It is very good.
Warping of teaching to fit the realities of the situation is a big problem also. On the one hand you would like to do a really good job so that your students can compete with anyone. (I say this as a scientist.) On the other, at BigU there are going to be a lot of unhappy students if we do this.
There are still some subversive ways available to keep everyone nominally happy and to challenge the students at the top. To put it another way: There are many ways to nirvana.
Ciao,
Bonzo
I say these things in this blog because I find that when I say them to my colleagues, their reaction is along the lines of "kill the messenger."
One of the things I liked most about his piece was the point on the reduction of the role of tenured faculty - to a person with a "skill set" (Je-sus!) - and, related to this, why it is *not* good to be so "inclusive" of contingent faculty in governance.
Post a Comment