Breakfast was two Czech-Mex kolaches from Kings Kolache. Savory had spicy sausage with cheese, while the sweet was banana Nutella. I did not know that this is a popular Texas food! Little sweet squares of triple-raised dough with fillings.
Business today was supposed to start with a visit to a vintage furniture place around the corner but they were closed. So on to the post office to get a postal mail check for payment of the final installment of the moving expenses, which I was informed had to be by either postal order or cash. When I tried to use my debit card it was denied. So I was left trying to figure out how to get $1550 in cash from ATMs with my debit card limit. Then I got a call from the credit union asking if I had authorized the transaction and it turned out that they had been alerted because it was over my daily limit (duh). The first person I talked to said she would try to increase my limit but that I might have to call customer services if it didn't go through. So back i went to the post office where just about everyone else--customers and staff-- was speaking Spanish. I tried again, but it was denied again. So back to the phone I went and this time I got a person who was able to authorize my expenditure and then it worked! so now I have the final payment for the movers. I will need to have some more cash on had in case there is a "shuttle fee." Ugh
It's warm today. I went back to R's apartment to get settled down after my daily dose of being on hold with representatives, and decided to try to get a new Medicare Advantage plan. I googled around and clicked on a page that said it would give me quotes, and unwittingly entered into communication with a broker. He reviewed a plan with me and honestly it is cheaper and has more features than my current plan with Kaiser. It's a PPO so I am not bound to one HMO network. The whole transaction took almost an hour, but it was a very thorough review of a plan and its features. I could have shopped around for other plans but I decided to go ahead and sign up for this one because there are open enrollments again when I reach 65 and for the usual end of the year period, so if for some reason I decide to change, I can do that. We also looked around for a primary care physician within a close distance of my house and he helped me find a clinic that turns out to be a very cool community health center. Next on the agenda is to locate the nearest urgent care center within th network in case I need urgent care like stitches or something.
I also made an appointment to open a new account at the Brooklyn Coop Credit Union. Tomorrow I have to be at my apartment from 8AM to 10PM for a gas technician to come fix my gas issue (that there is none even through the account says it is supposed to be on). So I'll bring my laptop, book, and magazines and do some furniture shopping. I need to see if there a doorbell that works, too. With any luck they will not keep me waiting all day and all night, but you never know. While I"m there, a locksmith will be coming because one of the front door locks isn't working.
I'm checking things off my list! My voter's registration was processed. My replacement credit card arrived. I'm waiting for my meds to arrive by mail. It's all starting to feel real.
Time to shop for furniture!
No comments:
Post a Comment