Thursday, June 09, 2022

Pita Point and new furniture

 Yesterday was a super busy day. I went and opened an account at the credit union in the morning. I needed to go the apartment for a piece of mail to prove my residency. Then I stopped for coffee at a nifty cafe-bakery called L'Imprimerie. I'll surely return when I have business at the bank. 

After noon, the vintage shops were open. First I went to a place called Green Village just around the corner from Rosemary's place, run by two small Orthodox Jews. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but then I discovered a bedroom set that I liked, jammed in with all the stuff around it. I got a tall dresser, a low dresser, a mirror, two nightstands, and the headboard and footboard that were all part of a set, in very good condition and with all the hardware. I paid $725, which included a delivery fee. It will be delivered either Sunday or Tuesday. After that, I slogged my way through the sweaty streets to a place called Reuse America, which is only open on Wed afternoon, where I was able to buy a table and four nifty chairs, and a chest of drawers with a bookcase  unit on top. Those items were delivered today and they look great! I'm so happy. It was intense, making decisions that cost thousands of dollars and that I'm going to live with when I was just trying to see the pieces in the crowded piles of stuff. I went over to the apartment this morning to wait for the delivery. I was a little anxious about the whole process, but now that I have done one successfully, I feel a little more confident about the next delivery and the arrival of the movers. 


Excursion of the day was to have lunch at the closest restaurant, a place called Pita Point that serves Middle Eastern food and bills itself as Glatt Kosher. The owner gave me extra servings of the side veggies with my pita lamb sandwich. Then three guys came in and her broke out a bottle of booze and served them shots. A few minutes later, he started gesturing to me and I finally figured out that he was offering me a shot as well! It was tequila. That's one way to treat your new customers!

No comments: