Friday, June 24, 2022

Unpacking

After all the drama of the move, the actual unloading went smoothly. I have unpacked most of the stuff and managed to find a place for most of it so far. I'm annoyed that they packed some stuff that was clearly marked "Do Not Pack" and I am missing  my sweaters, my pillow, and my mattress cover. I still have a few more boxes to open, and lots of itty bitties and junk to dispose of, but I do have room for all my clothes, and all my books fit--just barely-- on the shelves I have. I will have to look into a way to get rid of books I no longer need or have read and don't want to keep. I could leave books on the subway, I suppose but they'll probably just get thrown in the trash. Aha! a search with My Free Library's map tool show that there is a box just a few blocks away on Marion Street just past Rockaway and by the park.  I will stroll down there and see if it is still around and, if so, I will have a book drop! I need to rearrange the books according to topic, etc, but that will be a project for after I have broken down the last box. I put my recycling and trash out since it's supposed to be picked up tomorrow. I get to see if that works. 

 Rosemary came over with coffee and empanadas and cake from Love, Nelly which we ate in the garden on the bench. She likes my leopard print-adjacent seat covers on my four groovy chairs! Last night I ended up going back to Salud (very friendly!) after trying unsuccessfully to be served at a place just a block away where a 'security' guy wanted to search my purse before he would let me in. The music was awful and the server never came back out to take my order so I just left. Maybe they didn't want an elderly white woman there. It felt like a neighborhood hang-out with hookahs.  I don't need to go there--the excursions are a way of revealing failures as well as successes. 

This afternoon, as a break from unpacking and turning in circles, I went to the little crowded organic deli and got a few basic grocery items: tuna and sardines, some Indian veggie pouches. eggs and milk, kale and green onions, a few pieces of fruit, some yogurt and hummus, some jam and Aidell's sausages. Enough to have some breakfast tomorrow. I need to start cooking and eating at home. I have no silverware, but now I have knives, pots and pans and most utensils, some bowls and plates, glasses and coffee cups, my coffee and tea set-ups, salad bowls. I need to get a rice cooker, and some mixing bowls. Maria is going to give me a coffee grinder and a casserole dish, a mini food processor and a food mill, and a rug that I can put in the living room. I'm sitting in my comfy chair surrounded by half unpacked boxes. I still haven't found my tool kit or the mattress cover, but last night I was able to get to sleep in spite of the light shining from across the street and my uneasiness over lack of privacy. I set up an appointment with a TaskRabbit person to come mount the curtain rods and also to attach the large vanity mirror to the dresser because I don't have tools and I don't want to mess it up. It'll cost me about $100, but the curtain situation is urgent. I need to attach the black-out panels to the curtains with the hooks so that they are ready to hang when my Rabbit gets here at 2:30. If all goes well, I will join Rosemary at the Dyke March that starts at 5 at Bryant Square Park.

No comments: